SAN FRANCISCO PLAYHOUSE INTERNSHIP PROGRAM
SFPH Internships provide students with an opportunity to gain a comprehensive understanding of the day-to-day and seasonal operations of a professional theater company. Interns are treated as part of the Playhouse family which operates under the company’s values of Empathy, Excellence, Innovation, Collaboration and the ever important Yes! All interns leave the program with new connections, strong skills and real life experiences to add to their education.
As a non-profit 501(c) 3 organization, SFPH internships are volunteer positions. Interns will receive a small stipend to cover transportation costs at $150.00 per month. SFPH cannot arrange housing in the Bay Area. SFPH is happy to work educational institutions to arrange for academic credit.
Internships are 12 – 20 hours per week during the school year and 15 – 30 hours per week during the summer. Evening and weekend availability is required depending on department. All interns with have the opportunity to assist with special events, Mainstage and Sandbox first rehearsals, Sandbox Load-Ins and Strikes and other events as necessary.
- Fall – September through December (application deadline: July 31)
- Winter – For students on the quarter system
- Spring – January thru April (application deadline: November 30)
- Summer – May thru August (application deadline: March 31)
- Full Season – September through August (application deadline: July 31). Note: this internship changes departments throughout the year in order to gain an understanding of the seasonal operations of the company.
- A Strong Interest in Live Theatre
- Good Written and Verbal Communication Skills
- Computer Competence (PC computers for Admin; Mac & PCs for Production)
- Flexibility with Changing Priorities and Demands
- Ability to Multi-Task and Prioritize
- Ability to Collaborate, Analyze and Problem-Solve
- Evening and Weekend availability required depending on department
- Time Management Skills a Must
- As part of learning the workings of a professional theatre company, all interns, regardless of department, will participate in:
- Sandbox Load-In and Strike
- First Rehearsal/Table Read or Final Dress
- Opening Night Celebrations
- Various cultivation events.
HOW TO APPLY
Please Submit a Cover Letter and Resume to [email protected] with subject line – INTERN POSITION – YOUR NAME (i.e. Production Intern – Joe Smith):
No phone calls, please. Due to the high volume of applicants, only those selected for the interview process will be contacted.
International Applicants: San Francisco Playhouse cannot sponsor or assist applicants in the visa application process. For more information, please contact your school’s International Programs office, or the United States embassy in your country.